My New Year's resolutions are set. They seem to be the usual including the ever bothersome, always in the back of my mind, "I'd be much happier if I just did it" resolution. You know the one....lose weight. And even though the goals are written down, I still slept in and avoided the elipitical like a plauge. I skipped breakfast, of course, because that always helps with dieting. I even did a few loads of laundry in my avoidance of that big metal machine gathering dust in the corner of my bedroom. But those nagging thoughts wouldn't leave me alone, so I gathered the Ipod, my tennis shoes, and found a bra. My resolve to work out for 30 minutes was easily supported by the sounds of Pat Benetar screaming out "it's a do or die situation..." (Thanks, Melissa, for introducing me to Ms. Benetar.)
Now here's the kicker--the whole reason for the blog. Those thoughts in the back of my mind were still whispering, "You'll be happier if your skinnier. Won't sex be greater if you're more fit, more confident? Don't you want your kids' friends to think you're the pretty mom." And the voice is now flooding my head with all sorts of ideas of how life will be better and more fulfilling and happier if I just conquer all my resolutions, especially this dreaded one. For a minute it was inspiring.
Now don't quote me on this, but I think it was the strong whispering of someone much wiser when my own voice was silenced, and I heard; "RIGHT NOW COULD BE THE BEST TIME OF YOUR LIFE, AND YOU WON'T KNOW IT UNTIL THE BOOK IS CLOSED." People, do you hear what I'm telling you. Live life like today is the best, happiest moment of all the years you've lived because we won't know our best moments until we're on the other side skimming through the pages of our lives...the pages we wrote.
I guess that's it. The very reason I jumped off the elipitical at exactly 30 minutes to race downstairs to the computer. So I won't forget those words:
RIGHT NOW COULD BE THE BEST TIME OF YOUR LIFE!
November 2019
6 years ago
14 comments:
Oh so very true my friend! I'm definitely in 'enjoy the moment' mode. I just hope I can keep it!
WOW, what inspirational thoughts! I'm glad that I'm not the only one who avoids things. You are totally right, this could be the best time of our lives!
Your inspiration never lets me down! The whole weight loss thing is always in the corner of my mind...especially because my husband has a 29" waist. Oh yeah, I am sure your hubby is right there with him. What were we thinking??
That was an awesome and very inspiring blog. I often find myself just trying to make it through the day instead of enjoying it and I really need to stop that. Thanks Lynette. BTW. Emma loves the swim suit. Thanks so much we'll send some pics.
Thank you, Yoda. You inspire me--as always. And I'm serious about that. But are you sure the voice didn't say, "The best time of your life, right now could be?" ;)
Nettie! What wonderful wisdom!!!!!
I've lived over 7 decades. I wish I had, had the great insite of the things you just wrote about when I was much younger.
Right on!.. Do the best you can today! We never know what tomorrow will bring....Enjoy the moment!
By the way, I have always wondered about who made up all the rules anyway? You know the ones that drive us crazy?
I believe we can find the answers in the little black book (you know which one I'm talking about) We just need to use good judgement in all things and the word "LOVE" in every thought. And LOVE life!
Thanks for sharing your inspiration.
And you are already beautiful!
Love you forever!
Gram.
Wise beyond your years, you are. Don't you just love Rachel's wit?
What an awesome post. Thanks for the uplifting message. LESS DIETING & MORE LIVING....I like it!!
FAIR WARNING: This may be more of an epistle than a comment.
First of all, you're welcome (the Pat Benetar thing). Second, thank you (the inspirational thing). I'm sitting here snuggled up with my beautiful babies watching 'The Land Before Time', (well, Neeley is watching, I'm blog stalking, but we're still snuggling). And I'm seriously thinking, I wish I didn't have this huge fat roll hanging over my jeans, you know, the ever dreaded 'muffin top'? Anyway, I signed onto your blog (darn you for going private) and got the message, loud and clear! Right now is truly the best time of my life and I'm wishing it away. I might be a bit 'fluffy', but Brian and my babies love me anyway. Thank you sis, for your inspiration. Neeley just kissed my arm, and Brylen just smiled at me... does life get any better than this?? Love you!!
I have pondered this A LOT in my life as a mother. I think you are so right, these are the best years. I have something to add however that you may or may not agree with. I love the thought:Live in the moment. It is something I've been trying to do lately. I suppose the hardest part is to not attach your workout (or whatever) with the weight you want to loose(or whatever). Live in the moment, Just workout. Live in the moment you're in and hopefully life will rewarding and fulfilling. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but I'm reading this book called A New Earth that talks a lot about this deep stuff. It's a pretty good read if you want it when I'm done.
By the way I want you to know I think the world of you! You are one of my favorite people in the ever, and I think you're totally HOT the way you are!!!
You are ever inspiring, in spite of the fact that has been my new years resolution for 32 years. But don't you think if you feel good.....not necessarily look good you have a better outlook on life and the wonderful things going on around you. Thanks for your wisdom...you make me a better person as do all my children.
oh I just loved this!! This really made me stop and think about all that is RIGHT in my life not the "if only's" thanks for putting this out there. Always lifting me up--your good at that :)
Where did you come from? You are one of the wisest people I know, (don't know if that is a word wisest)so now I am not going to worry too much. I hadn't read your blog in a while and Crystal White told me about this post and it is awesome. You are right though, and I think that this is the best time of my life with my kids and my husband and other family and friends. You are amazing and I am lucky to know someone so smart and so much fun.
I want to add to the LONG list of thank yous. This is exactly what I needed to hear, especially today. Who does make the rules? My children and my husband, the most important people in my life, NEVER bring this up, so I guess should not even matter that much. Thanks again for your inspiring words.
Post a Comment