Over ten years ago, I had an incredible English and business teacher. She was the type of educator that kept you on task, kept you too busy to pass notes to your neighbor, and kept surprising her students with an enthusiasm for learning and writing. She also buried the combination of two words....a lot.
Throughout my education, I have been blessed with several wise teachers. I cannot explain to you why this particuliar teacher or the things I learned in her classroom maintains an influence in my life. Perhaps it was because she wasn't afraid to get personal with her students, divulging her secret of eating breakfast in her bathtub. Maybe it was the way she waved her arms in the air yelling about the "gobbly gook" she didn't want in our next assignment. And I'm sure it's because of the tears that welled up in her eyes the day she read one of my essays out loud to the class.
Thinking about her brings back the image of her handwriting in red...you know the color. The same red pen that every teacher or editor uses to mark up a paper, make corrections, and leave some sort of remark about the assigment you probably didn't want to do in the first place. Yes, I can see it clearly now. The extra commas, the advice to change the ending, and the all capital letters spelling, "KEEP WRITING!" Mrs. Miller, I'm going to "KEEP WRITING!" And lucky for you blog readers, my family members, and those people I consider everyday heroes, you're going to be my topics. Read on, I say, read on!
6 comments:
I totally agree with you on Mrs. Miller. She was so meant to be a teacher & has touched so many lives through her teaching. And you are such a brilliant writer--I've always loved reading your masterpieces. Please keep entertaining me. :)
Nettie!...want a great blog!..I must agree with everything you have written. I too, have a very special place in my heart for that dear teacher (and her husband). No one will ever know the love and thoughtfulness they have shown us. She is always there for Grandpa and I. Right up to the delicious Mincemeat Pie she makes him every Christmas, not mentioning the hundreds of other things she is to us. Thanks for sharing! YOU are precious and we love you!
We can all write such wonderful things about you Nettie, you are an amazing person also!
I think of Mrs. Miller every time I post on my blog... which is usually just 'a lot' of gobblygook (said with arms waving in the air) ;). Thanks for reminding me how much I loved her!
I love Margaret Ann! Good times. You Holm chicas are sure talented writers!
she is right-you have a way with word--"gobbly gook" I remember that! Mrs.Miller made an impression! You GO girl!!
Great posts! The previous one about Rachel is so true and well-written. Also, I'd be lying if I said Mrs. Miller didn't influence me everyday, especially as I head to work. Thanks for the reminders and the uplifting words.
Post a Comment