I don't remember much about her in my earlier years, and that surprises myself because I have vivid memories from an early age. I do remember her and Melissa telling stories about an invisible elevator in our closet that conveniently only worked for them. And I remember being jealous of her blue eyes. They changed shades like gems reflecting light. In a dark blue sweater they sparkled like saphires and anything lighter brought out the color of the sky. I'm still jealous.
I do remember she loved to read. During my busy tom boy era, I had no time to read; but her fascination with books fascinated me. She also ALWAYS brought home good grades. It didn't matter if it was coloring in Kindergarten or Physics at Milford High, she was a complete genius...sometimes unaware of her potential. I think it was her innocence.
And although she had a passion for reading, she had a pure hatred for playing baseball with my dad. I thought she was crazy. Who would rather read than catch fly balls in the old Milford park? On a family outing, she would come kicking and screaming with a resolve to have an awful time. Dad would tease her until she flashed a smile that said as long as I'm here, I might as well play.
She was more than a sister. In high school, she was my best friend even if I wouldn't admit it at the time. When most sisters fought over outfits and boys, we shared friends and dated brothers. I remember bragging to everyone about how she took Trig and Calculus during the same year as a Sophomore. I'll never forget her Prom, her Sterling Scholar portfolio, the Studentbody President election, and her slew of scholarships. I wanted to be just like her.
Each day that passes brings me even closer to my sister. I've learned I don't have another sister that loves chocolate or Coke or debating more than she does. I'm fully aware that she is an incredible mother, a patient wife, a loyal sister, and one heck of a fighter. She knows that she can be happy in any location, in any phase of life. Luckily, this attitude tends to rub off on the people she's around.
Rachel is a Hebrew name meaning innocent lamb. The dictionary describes innocent as having the simplicity of an unworldly person. Rachel is simple, and she innocently sees the good in all those she knows and loves. A better description....Rachel is simply incredible! I still want to be just like Rachel Ann.

9 comments:
WOW!! I am always in awe at the closeness my children have always had with each other, then I read something like this and Thank God everyday for what he has given me in the way of a FAMILY. Rachel is very special, as are every one of you. What a beautiful tribute to one of your big sis's.
I notice how you always speak so highly of your family and how much they influence you. Lynette, I don't think you have any idea how much you influence people like me. I look at how happy you are and the strong marriage you have with Dustin. You are full of what are the most important traits in this life!
I have to limit myself to your blog, because I am usually crying be the end !
I don't even know what to say. I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out & thinking that I am not nearly as amazing as you make me sound. I am also thinking that you are the greatest example in my life of kindness, generosity, love, happiness, patience, endurance, and so many other wonderful virtures. And I realized all too late that you were also my best friend. Thank you for all the kind and wonderful things you said about me. I love you so much and miss you so much more.
Yep, Rachel Ann is a pretty wonderful woman. Sometimes I think she forgets but I sure don't. You hit the nail right on the head with this one Lynette - great post!
This is such a great tribute to a really great sister!...It is what most of us don't take the time to express. You are definately a great example with such wonderful attributes Nettie. You are a wonderful grandaughter, whom I love and admire so much!
Always stay that "special daughter of God" you are!
I LOVE YOU!
Gram.
That was Awesome. I can't even think or what to say cause I'm Bawling!
I sure do miss my sisters right now. What I wouldn't give to go back to our old bedroom and play a late night game of "Life" or "Sorry" in the middle of our bedroom floor with my three best friends... when the four of us shared two double beds and one closet... back when we didn't know that one day we would all live way too many miles apart. I love you Nettie, but miss you much more.
you have such a great family--all you girls are so strong, independent, funny, smart & loving! Thanks for highlighting Rach--she is amazing. When she took calculus & trig she blew my mind--I failed out of Trig the only D I EVER got & she smoked both at the same time--tough chick that Rachel Ann we are so lucky to have her!! Thanks for this post--you always get to the HEART :)
Post a Comment